Getting locked out of your car can be a very stressful experience, but it is always important to stay calm as improper methods of opening your vehicle may harm it. There is a vast array of tools that auto locksmiths use to open a car that have the keys locked inside the car, broken in a lock, or simply lost. The slim Jim is perhaps the most commonly thought of tool for opening a locked vehicle but is only effective on cars with upright style locks. The Slim Jim method varies depending on the make and model of the car but is predicated around the idea of slipping the tool between the weather-strip and moving it until the upright lock is moved. Once the tool has found the locking device, the Slim Jim must hook the lock and be slid up to unlock the car. This process requires a lot of finesse as this part of the door has many wires and electronic mechanisms that can be disrupted, harming the car if done unprofessionally.
More specialized tools act in a similar fashion to the Slim Jim, in terms of a wedge free entry. The Japanese Tool (named for its use predominantly on Japanese manufactured cars) is dropped down between the weather strip and the windowpane and comes up on the other side of the glass to manipulate thumb style locks.
List of Automotive Locksmith Services
- Car lockout services.
- Retrieving locked keys in trunk.
- Car key replacement for lost or broken car keys.
- Car key cutting.
- Making duplicate car keys.
- Program or replace key fobs.
- Transponder key programming.
- Car key extraction.
- Ignition cylinder replacement and repair services.
- Ignition switch replacement and repair services.
- Rekey ignition.
- Rescuing stranded drivers from auto lockouts.
- Unlocking car doors or trunks.
- Luxury automotive assistance. Car Lockout